Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pax

I continue to savor, savor, savor the moments I have with Pax.  It is the easiest to do this, sometimes, because I am so painfully aware of how little time I have left with him under my wing in our nest at home.  I remember so well the preschool trips I took with Aidan and with Leo, how there was always a tag-along brother.   I remember looking forward to the day when all of my focus and attention could be on the one.  And now... that day is here.

Pax makes me laugh, every day.  He is passionate.  He is passionate in how he demonstrates his love and affection for me; he is passionate in how he demonstrates his anger and frustration. I'm learning to sit with him through his fits of rage so that I might guide him back into his squeezy hugs.  Occasionally, he calls me "Mumsy," which I absolutely love.  When I told him how much I liked it, he said, "Just like you sometimes call us Boysies."

Pax's favorite game is to run and hide somewhere in the house, then jump out and yell "Boo!" to whomever is nearby.  His giggles give him away, so there is a lot of feigned surprise in order to make him feel like he's truly scared us.  I like to say to him, "You scared the daylights out of me!"  but one time, I didn't say anything.  He asked, "Did I scare the lightbulbs out of you?"

Recently, Jeff found himself in a conversation with Pax on the topic of boobs(yes, boobs). Jeff asked Pax if he knew what boobs were for.  "Yes," Pax replied.  "It's so mommies won't hurt themselves if they run into something."
*****
Snapshots of the moments I savor:

...the way he sticks out his tongue a little bit, in concentration and determination.  He is *very* good at throwing a frisbee.
 How much he adores his grandparents.  How Grandpa stopped by one morning and served as the Celebrity Chef, whipping up a plate of scrambled eggs, just the way Pax likes them.

...how lucky Pax is to get to color at Grandma's house, like it's their job.
Field trips: feeding the sweet lamb
 After carefully and painstakingly making his bed, Pax lined up all of his loveys on his bed, and gave each one a toy.
 This boy loves to color.  (the new hardwood floors are a perfect platform).
 P in a Tree - can you spot me?

 Riding on Star, the pony that looks *just* like the pony, Limerick, I used to ride.... even though he was very, very fearful.
 Full of awesome.
 Working so hard on painting a masterpiece for his preschool teacher.
 Cooking up lasagne dinner for the birthday brother... like a boss.  This kid can cook!!



"The ship of my life may or may not sail on calm and amiable seas.  The challenging days of my existence may or may not be bright and promising.  Stormy or sunny days, glorious or lonely nights, I maintain an attitude of gratitude.  If I insist on being pessimistic, there is always tomorrow.  Today, I am blessed."  -Maya Angelou, April 4, 1928 - May 28, 2014.


No comments: