Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dirty D.O.G. Day

Yesterday when I arrived to pick Aidan and Leo up from Grandma and Grandpa's house, I was greeted by the two dirtiest, sweatiest, and happiest boys I have ever seen as they rode up in the tractor with Grandpa. Leo's normally fluffy, fly-away hair was matted down to his head; he looked as if he'd dunked it in the lake. Aidan's curls were wet and plastered to his forehead. Leo was positively covered in dirt. Dirt was on his face, in his scalp, in the creases of his neck, outlining his diaper, covering every bit of his clothes and shoes.... "What have you been doing??" I implored. They looked positively filthy, and utterly happy. I soon learned that they had been working very hard with Grandpa, moving rock after rock and stone after stone into the trailer and clearing the ground for new grass seed. Whoever imagined moving rocks could be so much fun? I mused.

But that's exactly the point. Moving rocks was so much fun, because it was moving rocks with Grandpa. Cookies have never tasted so good as the ones made with Grandma. Steam cleaning the carpet has never been more fun than with Grandpa. Eating grilled cheese always tastes better at Grandma's house. Indeed, as I consoled a sobbing Aidan who was simply not ready to leave Grandma and Grandpa's house, I remembered what it was like to do the most ordinary of things with Grandma or with Grandpa. I had far fewer chances than Aidan and Leo have to spend ordinary time with grandparents, but I know how magical chores and errands suddenly become when spent with the beloved "AM-ma" or "BA-pa", as Leo affectionately calls them right now.

Regretfully, I did not have my camera with me to capture the dirt. I actually considered loading them in the car, dirt and all, and taking a picture at home.... but they were JUST TOO DIRTY. While this day will probably fade into the collective memories of Doings not out of the Ordinary with Grandparents, (D.O.G, that is) I , for one, will long remember this Dirtiest of D.O.G Days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As the close-by "Ah-ma" in the life of Aidan and Leo, one of the joys has been being involved in their day-to-day lives. Indeed loading rocks into a trailer is much more fun with two such capable and willing helpers. It is poignant,however, in that it reminds us daily of what we are missing with our other two beautiful grandsons, Hugo and Julian. Life is good, but life is not perfect.