Sunday, May 6, 2012

Call to Action

I have written and re-written several posts regarding my state of mind these days.  None are fit to post.  Until I can harness my anger and frustration into a publicly acceptable commentary, I shall post but the smallest tidbit of where my heart is right now.  I authored the following:


CALL TO ACTION: As you are well aware, the Board of Supervisors (BOS) recently approved a budget that cuts $1.4 M from the CURRENT budget, in addition to the $900,000 requested by the School Board for the FY13 - a net loss of over $2M. The School Board, along with the greater community at large, was shocked and blindsided by this sudden cut. The School Board has developed 4 plans that only begin to address this tremendous and unexpected loss: every single plan deeply affects people and programs, including preschool, adult literacy, and vocational education. The options are devastating and incomprehensible. Therefore, it is absolutely imperative that we voice our objection to this budget, and demand that the BOS amend the FY13 budget. I implore you to go to the Courthouse on Wednesday, May 16 at 7:00. Bring your family, your neighbor, a friend. Please be prepared to speak during the public comments forum - the BOS is required to hear the voice of each and every person who desires to be heard - and request that the BOS amend the budget; restore $1.4M to level fund; and provide an additional $900,000 for "Option 3." Our power will be in our numbers. Our voices must be heard. Borrowing from the words of Pr. Martin Niemoller: "First they came for the [teachers] and I did not speak out because I was not [a teacher.] Then they came for the [preschoolers] and I did not speak out because I was not [a preschooler]. Then they came for the [students] and I did not speak out because I was not a [student.] Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me." It is our time to speak. Do not assume someone else will speak on your behalf; there is no substitute for YOUR presence, YOUR voice, YOUR witness.

No comments: