Thursday, August 4, 2011

To Have and to Hold

Ten years ago, on August 4, 2001, Jeff and I began our life as a married couple. At our wedding reception, we chose to dance to Israel Kamakawiwo Ole's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. At the time, we chose it because it was lovely and beautiful. Now, a decade later as I listen to the song, the words have gained a whole new meaning....

...and the dreams that you dreamed of
Dreams really do come true...

Yes - dreams really do come true. We are making our dreams come true....

I hear babies cry and I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more
Than we'll know
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world...

Yes - our babies - yes - what a wonderful world.

And yet it was the rainbow that really struck me, when listening to this song anew. Significant and poignant, the image of the rainbow, a promise.

Originally, in the story of Noah's Ark, God sent a rainbow as a sign of God's promise to all God's people. The rainbow in our song choice represents the promise we each made,to love one another for all the rest of our days. My beloved is mine, and I am his.

And so the song inspired the creation of this montage, celebrating a decade of our lives together.


No comments: