Sunday, September 11, 2011

Homage

Recently I stumbled upon one of my many Lucille Clifton collections of poetry, and the random page to which I opened revealed one of my most favorite poems. Lucille Clifton - author, poet, distinguished Poet Laureate of Maryland, Professor at St. Mary's College of Maryland - my own beloved teacher - continues to inspire me.

In reading Homage to my Hips, she inspired my own...


Homage to The Girls

These breasts are saggy breasts,
baggy breasts,
wrinkly, deflated-balloon breasts.

They don't fill my perky polka-dot cups
anymore.
They don't demand more support,
anymore.
They're known to ask for additional
assistance
come bikini season.

These breasts were big breasts -
my cups runneth over.

These breasts were milky breasts -
engorging, bonding, nourishing, sustaining...
55 months long.

These breasts were immodest breasts -
bared at bars and backyard barbeques,
at the insistence of

the babe

to

Bond
Nourish
Sustain.

And so

I know them to be
beautiful.

No comments: